Message Us Close

Tick this box to confirm you have read and understand our Privacy Statement.

Search Close
Call us: 01603 877000 Search
For all MJP Conveyancing enquiries, please email:
Telephone Search
Medical Negligence

What is Medical and Clinical Negligence? View Answer

Medical treatment does not come with a guarantee and some errors or complications are unavoidable risks of treatment and not necessarily negligent.

Clinical Negligence describes a medical accident where a patient has been harmed because of an avoidable complication and the patient has not received the proper standard of care. A mistake does not always mean negligence.

Clinical negligence can occur:-

  • During surgery;
  • Prescribing the wrong drug or dosage;
  • Diagnosing incorrectly;
  • Failing to provide the necessary treatment or treating inappropriately;
  • Failing to obtain consent/agreement to the treatment recommended;
  • Failing to warn of the of the risks involved in treatment.
Medical Negligence

Is it going to take a lot of my time? View Answer

There are points in a case where your input is needed if for example we need to take you through documents or ask you to get together documents such as wage slips, receipts/invoices and pension information. On average it shouldn’t take up more than an hour or two a month and sometimes is much less.

Medical Negligence

How good are you? View Answer

We have over 35 year’s specialist experience in medical negligence claims. We have two Law Society accredited clinical negligence specialists who are also APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers) specialists. We are consistently recommended in Legal 500 which is a client’s guide to the best law firms and solicitors.

Medical Negligence

Do I have a case? View Answer

In order to evaluate your case it is helpful to have as much information up front as possible so medical records, investigation reports and complaints correspondence will assist us in advising you.

Medical Negligence

Can I complain about my treatment/surgery? View Answer

Yes you can. If complaining about a hospital you should write to the Chief Executive or Complaints and Litigation Department. If complaining about a GP or dentist you should address your letter to the Practice Manager. When acknowledging your complaint they will inform you of their timescales for providing detailed response. Here is a link to to a sample letter of complaint.

Medical Negligence

How long do I have to make a claim? View Answer

You must bring a claim within 3 years from either;

  • When you had your treatment; or
  • When you first realised you had an injury. It is always safe to assume the three year time limit runs from the date of the treatment that caused the injury so do not delay.

Does the time limit always apply?
In the case of a child the three year limit does not start until their 18th birthday so that time would not begin to run against them until they were 21 but they do not have to wait until then. Before they are 18 a parent or other person close to them can make a claim on their behalf as their “litigation friend”.

Also a person who is unable to manage their own affairs because they lack capacity can effectively stop time running during the period of their disability.

In exceptional cases the court can allow a claim after the three year limit.

It is important to begin work on the case as soon as possible before the end of the three year limitation period because;

  1. We will need time to investigate and prepare your case before court proceedings can commence; and
  2. The earlier your case is investigated the more likely it is that documents needed to prove your case will still be available and people will be able to recall what happened.
Medical Negligence

Can I obtain my medical records or the records of a relative? View Answer

Yes you can. You are entitled to your records, and any scans and x-rays, under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). Simply contact the medical records department of the hospital, or practice manager at the GP or dental surgery, and you will asked to complete and sign a form for the release of the records. There is no charge and the records should be provided within a month of the request.

If you wish to obtain the records of a relative who has died your request is made under the Access to Records Act 1990 however, as with a request under GDPR, there is no charge and the records should be provided in a month.

Medical Negligence

How do we assess your case View Answer


There is no automatic system for paying compensation for persons suffering physical or psychological injury from a medical accident where a patient has been harmed and could have been avoided. It does not mean the clinician was incompetent but they have made a mistake which they should not and was avoidable.

Morgan Jones Pett will advise you on the merits of making a claim and if a claim is justified will advise you as to the step by step process involved.


When you contact Morgan Jones Pett we will assess whether we can help. You can help by putting together as much information as possible before you contact us. We will base our assessment on:-

  • Your account of what happened;
  • Your medical records if you have them. If you do not have them, our assessment may have to wait until we have obtained and reviewed the records;
  • The medical and legal issues;
  • How much a claim would be worth;
  • Any extra information you have (such as complaint letters or other papers to support your case);
  • Whether your claim is within the legal time limit;
  • How your legal costs will be paid.

Let us take it from here.

01603 877000
Send us a message

Tick this box to confirm you have read and understand our Privacy Statement.



©2020 | Morgan Jones Pett
Website by: Aim

Morgan Jones & Pett Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales Registered No: 06236869. Registered office at: 18-20 Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR1 1LB. Authorised and Regulated by: The Solicitors Regulation Authority registration: 569813.